Friday, January 14, 2011

Quatrains

Pale sunlight,
pale the wall.

Love moves away.
The light changes.

I need more grace than I thought.

*

I would love to kiss you.
The price of kissing is your life.

Now my loving is running toward my life shouting,
What a bargain, let's buy it.

*

You have said what you are.
I am what I am.
Your actions in my head,
my head here in my hands
 with something circling inside.
I have no name
for what circles
so perfectly

*

Daylight, full of small dancing particles
and the one great turning, our souls
are dancing with you, without feet, they dance.
Can you see them when I whisper in your ear?

*

They try to say what you are, spiritual or sexual?
They wonder about Solomon and all his wives.

In the body of the world, they say, there is a soul
and you are that.

But we have ways within each other
that will never be said by anyone.

*

ome to the orchad in Spring
There is light and wine, and sweethearts
     in the pomegranate flowers.

If you do not come, these do not matter.
If you do come, these do not matter.

*

Walk to the well.
Turn as the earth and the moon turn,
circling what they love.
Whatever circles comes from the center.

*

I circle your nest tonight,
around and around until morning
when a breath of air says, Now,
and the Friend holds up like a goblet
some anonymous skull.

*

No better love than love with no object,
no more satisfying work than work with no purpose.

If you could give up tricks and clevernss,
that would be the cleverest trick!




Rumi

No comments:

Post a Comment